Tuesday, July 11, 2006

New bike!

Well, technically the bike is new, but it hasn't been used since Santa brought it for Christmas last year. For some reason Trevor was terrified of it, so it sat unloved in the garage all these months. He was so sure that it was too big for him. He was really hanging on to his little boy bike, that looked like something from a circus. His little knees would almost hit his chin while he was peddling. I used to watch him riding up and down the street picturing a little monkey riding on top of his shoulders. Really, it was time to retire the little green bike.

So yesterday we went out front after dinner to learn to ride the big bike. He did great. He only fell a couple of times (once into a tree) but really, he did great. I don't know why he is so afraid of it. His feet touch the ground when he stands. Who knows, maybe he is like me...he doesn't get real excited about the next step up when it comes to growing up. He has always been comfy where he is at. (Unlike Megan who is ready to be 17 right now.)

This photo is the closest thing to a smile that I could get. Mike would send him down from one end of the street, and Trevor would just be yelling, "mommy! mommy!" over and over. Every time he made a turn Megan and I would cheer for him.

So far he says that he will go out tonight and try it again. I have also bribed him with taking him to go get some ice cream afterwards. No matter what...I think he looks like a pretty cool, big kid on that bike!

Who knew teaching kids to ride a bike would be so much work. Actually, Mike gets more of a workout than I do. He is always the runner. Probably because I am the one who would say, "OK sweetie, you don't have to do this now." I admit it, I'm a sucker once those tears start. - I can't believe that we still have ONE more to go after this one. Hopefully since Matthew will have seen his brother and sister ride bikes, he will actually WANT to.

Whew. This kid stuff. It isn't for sissies that is for sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay trevor!!!!

Michelle said...

We had the same struggle over here. Noah was just convinced he couldn't do it. Broke my heart a little actually. I mean *I* don't do a lot of things out of fear but I don't want my kids too, ya know?

GOOD JOB TREVOR!! We knew you could do it!! :)

mimiscraps said...

AWWW that's soo cute! Tell him he looks handsome on his new bike!
Way to go Trevor!

Lisa said...

that is so cool! tell trevor congrats for me!!!

Unknown said...

Ryan got a new bike for Christmas, too, but will only ride his old one for the same reason. Ugh. In his defense, the handle bars are way too wide for him, so if we switch those out, I think he'll be fine.

Yay for Trevor!!