Friday, July 21, 2006

Whoa, Monster House

Today we took the kids to see Monster House. (Thank goodness for some issue with the plane before Mike had to go flying, so he got to come home early!)

It was fun to have a day to do this. The kids were really excited.

I didn't think that it would be as scary as it was!!! It was a good movie, but I thought it would be more along the lines of "Scooby Doo" scary. My fault for not doing my research on the movie or finding out what other people had to say about it first. I spent the entire movie with two boys firmly squished to my sides. Matthew would bury his head in my arm most of the time, and would only come up for a little air and an occasional bite of popcorn.

Megan loved it. She is the perfect age for it. I thought it was a great movie and really enjoyed it. There were only a couple of things that I wasn't too thrilled with. One of the kids takes some cough medicine from his dad's pharmacy and talks about it later in the movie as "I stole drugs."
Here I have been telling my kids how bad drugs are, blah blah blah. And they kind of lump cough medicine (which my kids have to take) into the 'drug' catagory. So now my kids are either going to think that drugs are no big deal, or that mommy makes them take drugs when they are sick. Megan even stresses out when I say 'drug store' to her. She corrects me and says, "It is a pharm-a-cy mom. A pharmacy is where you get medicine that makes you feel better when you are sick. Drugs are baaaaaad."

Then another time the babysitter's boyfriend is leaving the house, and he says, "prude." Whhhhyy is that neccessary in a kid's movie? Oh and he was drinking a beer and was obviously drunk when he left the house. OK, I'm not trying to be prudish myself here....but it is a kid's movie and it really didn't have anything to make the story any better.

My favorite part without giving anything away is the end. It is Halloween. Ahhh....Beth will totally understand me on this one.....the kids are trick or treating up and down a tree lined street with leaves blowing everywhere. You know Beth and I live for Halloween! I could almost smell pumpkins!!!

Anyway...that has been our day. I am so full of popcorn I think I am going to explode. Ugh.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this:):)
Didn't know it was so scary!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up.

DD wants to see this movie so she'll have to wait a few years!

As for the drug thing (coming from the "drug lady") we do try to warn kids about the dangers of medicine as they really are drugs if used the wrong way. i.e. we show kids red hots, and how they look very similar to different kinds of medicines...

we usually do this around Halloween as a warning to kids not to eat candy that's out of the wrapper as it may not really be candy.

PSA over.

Have a good weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no Karen! I totally understand where you are coming from on the cough medicine thing. That is exactly what I did tell Megan about it yesterday, that it can be abused and bad if you take more than the doctor tells you to get better. But that there are drugs that are a lot worse that she will never be told to take by a doctor.

Megan just looked at me like, "MY MOM IS GIVING ME DRUGS!" So I had to explain that to her with the difference.

I guess we have officially started the drug talk around here. Actually, it has been going on for awhile, which is a good thing. Never too early! :)

Unknown said...

HALLOWEEN!!!! Loved the movie for that reason alone! ;)

We saw it Friday as well, and the girls were slightly scared at times, but still loved it. And I had the exact same thought when they called the cough medicine "drugs." It kind of irked me, but I guess it's a good dialog-opener.

Erin now has a new phrase, though (oh, joy!). In the previews for Ant Bully, she cracked up at, "Cross your heart, not your butt!" Good one, movie studio execs. Thanks much. ;)

Jamie said...

Hey Kerry!

My kids are excited to see this movie too. I wasn't too thrilled w/ a couple things in the trailer but we'll probably take them anyways.

Maddy said...

Ellie is DYING to see this, but I think I'll send Dusitn with her so she won't be so scared. Every week when we go to Summer Movies, she sees the HUGE diorama thing and talks about it, so there's no way out of it. Thanks for the heads up!

Lisa said...

we took our girls to see this--loved it! loved all the music in it--so '70's!