Monday, August 21, 2006

PA?

I am not cut out to be a peanut allergy mom. I'm not even sure if this is what is to blame for today.

I went to Target this morning. The only place I went to, and I had Matthew sitting in the cart the whole time. This is what we do every time we go at least at one point....contain him in the cart until we either leave or he gets out to look at toys.

So I notice that he has small red bumps on his face today. Hmmm. I keep an eye on him all day, and the bumps are spreading a little bit but not too bad.

Then as soon as I brought Megan and Trevor home from school, Matthew's little eyes are swollen shut and he is rubbing them telling me that he can't see! Crap, why does this stuff always seem to happen when mike is out of town? I gave him Benedryl, had the epi pen near me in case he stopped breathing, and put him in the shower to cool him off. I sat there with the pen in one hand and the phone in the other just in case I needed to call 911.

He fell asleep immediately after I dried him off. I imagine the antihystimine from the Benedryl and the natural ones from his body trying to fight off the allergy are what made him fall asleep. Of course, you call the doctor and they say, "Well, if you are concerned then you should take him to the e.r." That is never helpful.

So, the good news is, he has been breathing just fine. Actually he is out on the couch snoring up a storm. So his lungs are fine.

But now I'm worried. What triggered this today? I try so hard to be careful and keep him away from any peanut things. We wash his hands all the time, carry wipes that he uses after we go in stores, everything.

I'm wondering if the cart might have had a kid in it that ate peanut butter and had some on his hands? Maybe peanut butter cups touched the cart? What?

This is what freaks me out about sending Matthew out into the world someday. It is sad enough to quiz him and say, "If somebody offers you a cookie, what do you say?"

"Does it have peanuts because peanuts make me die." I hate hearing that with his little tiny voice.

But, it is something we have to do. I am paranoid everytime he goes to Primary at church. What if there is a sub? What if they don't remember? Or a babysitter? What if they don't go through the surgical cleansing process I do if they had a peanut butter cup before coming to my house? Ugh. We are in for a ride that is for sure.

On top of that, the poor guy has been suffering from asthma the past week. It is pretty early in the season to be starting this. The breathing machine has already become a fixture in the family room.

Sometimes this little guy seems so fragile. A simple cold can send him into a week of full blown asthma. So then I start getting paranoid about even taking him out of the house to make sure he doesn't get a cold.

I was actually talking to my mom earlier this week and told her that I was thinking one night as I was sitting with him while he was getting a breathing treatment....that 50 years ago, without this machine in my house, he probably wouldn't have made it. Technology is an awesome thing, and I am so lucky to have one of these things in my house.

I just wish it wasn't necessary.

Sorry about the rant, but I am just kind of venting and counting my blessings at the same time today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh poor little guy.
I had no idea he had PA...just know there are plenty of mom's out there who are very diligent about asking questions (i.e. when we bring snacks to school or girl scouts we always ask if anyone is allergic to anything)just to be safe!

But I do understand your fears.

Lisa said...

kerry--so sorry for you! i know that just has to be a frightening, ongoing thing! is it just peanuts or could there be other things? sometimes when a person is allergic to one thing they end up being allergic to other things as well. i can't imagine this happening to little haley so i feel for you and I'm glad you have modern technology to help you out!

Anonymous said...

(((hugs))) kerry. i am so sorry you guys are going through this. :(

Michelle said...

awww...poor little man. No one should have to go through that...but for someone so darn cute ;) it's not fair, for sure.

Not that this well help but I really believe he'll be fine when he get's "out there". His body will have conditioned his mind to look out for peanuts because they make him sick. It won't be like you or me, who LOOOOVE recees and then all of a sudden can't have them. He'll never really know the yummyness because, for him, it will make him sick. NOTHING tastes that good...even recees LOL ya know what I mean?

I realize that's super easy for me to sit here and type. Trust me, I don't envy the battle you have with that! Just trying to...oh hell I dunno...hear myself type I think! LOL

Unknown said...

Ah, poor Matthew (and poor, Mom!). :(

But if the cause was from a peanut product, was his reaction this time a positive thing? His throat didn't swell, the Benedryl worked, and you didn't need to call your favorite men in blue (who surely must be on a first-name basis with you by now, since you get Christmas cards from them...). Maybe he will grow out of it in time. (I hope, I hope)

Luckily, you have awesome friends who don't bring peanuts into your house, but shower them on you when you're away. Just don't force me to stop packing PB sandwiches for my kid's lunch! (TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!!)

Vent away- that's what we're here for. And you are an awesome PA mommy, so chin up!

Maddy said...

Oh man Kerry. I can't even comprehend how hard that must be. What an awful feeling. And I know how worrisome it must be. Your always wondering what happened, how little was it, is his allergy getting worse. . . I'm so sorry :(

Real hugs!

Anonymous said...

Kerry, I hope he is feeling better. When I read things like this it always gives me more perspective on my own life. I do know that you are a GREAT mom and will do everything you can for that little guy, so he is very lucky. Tammi

Anonymous said...

oh Kerry...I had no idea he had PA either. How awful for such a little guy to have to deal with. And it must be hard for you too. Just to have to be so worried about everything he comes into contact with...and I think I have a lot to worry about. Sending hugs to you:)

I'll be emailing you later today too. Got the Starbucks card and no...you didn't include a note:P LOL