Thursday, October 26, 2006

I found out the other day that Matthew is going to have to have his tonsils out. Poor little guy. Mike took him to the ear/nose/throat doctor the other day because he was starting to have the same symptoms that Trevor did before he had to have his removed.

I guess somewhere in our genetic material Mike and I grow kids with incredibly, unusually huge tonsils, which end up making it hard for them when they sleep at night. If it is left untreated, it could turn into sleep aphnea, or even worse....not being here anymore. Trevor had even gotten so bad that he lost about 10 pounds before his surgery. He is such a skinny little thing in the first place, it was hard to see him loosing the weight.

It freaked me out when I first found that out about Trevor, so I have been super sensitive watching Matthew.

The doctor also asked if he had any food allergies. Mike told him about the peanut allergy, and the doctor said that if the tonsils came out, heaven forbid he have another attack that sent him into anaphylactic shock, having the tonsils out gives him that much more space in his throat for air to go through. It isn't an answer to the peanut allergy, but every bit counts when you have seen it.

I think I am writing this tonight because it has been heavy on my mind since I found out. I was just sitting on the floor with Matthew, watching him cut a piece of paper with some scissors. He was talking to me about the park, and he was just being really sweet. I hate to think that I'm going to have to take him to the hospital and he is going to wake up sore and not feeling well for the rest of that day. Man, I wish I could do it for him. At least I know that he is excited about having pudding and ice cream!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man kerry - i'm sorry! poor little guy! :( (((hugs))) to you and matthew!

Lisa said...

so sorry. but hopefully he will do as well as trevor did! good luck with everything!

Unknown said...

Aww; poor Matthew. :(