Tuesday, October 31, 2006

awww maaaaan.



I can't believe it. I wait all month (or all year) for this night. I have two kids home sick today, both with fevers, and both feeling like they are teetering on throwing up. I hope it remains on teetering, because puking is never fun.

Megan and Trevor have pretty much resolved to the fact that they are both going to be missing trick or treating this year. You know that they aren't faking when they don't mind missing that. I told them that they could probably go to a couple of houses next door, but we won't be going out like we usually do. Mike will still be taking Matthew out for awhile, but he gets tired so quick that I'm sure they won't be out for long.

I feel bad for them. I remember being sick one year for Halloween. It sucked everytime I heard the doorbell ring. My friend stopped by afterwards and brought me a bag full of candy that she had collected for me. It's funny how I have never forgotten that.

At least all three of my kids were able to go to trunk or treat the other night, so it isn't like they are missing out entirely.

Kind of on topic, last night I went to McDonald's to get happy meals for the kids. (Or really, a soda for me!) and we had the windows down. I smelled it. Halloween. You know how powerful our sense of smell is and the memories that certain smells bring back to you? It hit me like a ton of bricks. Or pumpkins rather.... ;)

There was a street that had several houses with pumpkins lit. Oh there is not another smell in the world like that. Just smelling that makes me shiver because that is the epitomy of fall. Crisp cold night, dried leaves bouncing down the street from a breeze, trick or treaters, and jack o lanterns.

OK, and go ahead and think I am strange, but I dare you all tonight. Smell your kid's candy buckets before you spill the candy out. There is another Halloween smell that can't be duplicated. Something about the mix of all that candy in there. It smells so good. It smells like childhood in a bucket.

Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear you have some sick kids today...I know this is your favorite holiday...hope you have a Happy Halloween anyway:)

Michelle said...

boo to sick kids. that sucks!

LMAO @ "childhood in a bucket" that's classic!

Maddy said...

Are you kidding me??????? Megan and Trevor are sick? How unfair is that? I am sooooo sorry. Poor babies! Ellie was in the 99 ranger yesterday, but luckily it didn't go any hire and she's perfect today. I was bummed that she might miss out on the fun and I don't even like Halloween, so I can only imagine how depressed you must feel! Poor Trevor and Megan. poor Kerry :(

SuburbanMom said...

Awww...poor kids. That does suck.

So wait, tell me you didn't go all the way to McDonalds just to get a soda? Because THAT'S WHAT I DO!

I'll take them and get them fries just because I'm *dying* for a diet coke. What a bad mom I am....I actually talk them in to fries. What mom does that? ;)

Unknown said...

Awww...I hope they got to go down your street at least.

Oh, and the smell of pumpkin is great until you put the pumpkin in your car. Then it smells like puke. ;)

Happy Halloween!!

Anonymous said...

that completely sucks, kerry! :( sorry they are sick. i would be so bummed! :( can we send them some candy? ;)

xo

Lisa said...

so sorry you had sick kids! yeah--i went outside just to smell my pumpkins!! love it!

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Kerry! You of all people stuck home on Halloween night! So not fair! I am totally with you on the smell of Halloween. I remembered thinking that a few years ago. This year I can't smell squat...my sinuses are kicking my A$$!!!