Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A little reflecting, feeling mellow and taking it all in.



I just love this time of year!

It has already been such a busy month. My birthday, out of town, tomorrow is Megan's birthday, then her baptism, then Matthew's birthday. Wow.

The best thing is, even though it seems so busy, it seems to slow down a little. Or maybe we are slowing down a little. We are finally able to go outside and enjoy the weather. We have been taking walks around the block after dinner. Mike and I usually walk while the kids either ride bikes or skate. Plus it is so nice to be able to drive around with the windows down, or open up the windows to the house and not hear that constant whirring of the air conditioner. Finally! I think I have slowed down and started to enjoy things right now. I'm not constantly waiting for the summer to be over. - Major changes are going to start happening in our family. Things we have been waiting for, for years. Then changes of Mike's job and getting used to that. Scary and exciting all at the same time.

Tomorrow is Megan's 8th birthday. This time 8 years ago I was so anxious and sick to my stomach. I had no idea what to expect the next day when I went to the hospital. Turning 8 is such a big deal. It just seems like one of those magical birthdays. Old enough to start doing more things, and life just seems like it is in fast forward for her right now. It is pretty exciting. I'm having so much fun watching it all. I absolutely adore my little girl. She has brought me so much happiness, taught me so much, and is my best friend in a mother/daughter kind of way. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't know megan was an october birthday --katie is too!!

I'm glad things are settling down. I can totally relate :)

Michelle said...

confession time. I was reading this post, as I always read your posts, when I got to the end I kinda read too fast and 'ended' your last sentence in my head too quickly. I in my head you said something like (if reference to Megan) "she is my best friend" and I instantly thought - "um....she's eight - not sure that's such a good thing." Then I actually continued to read (mind you, this all happened in like a split second) and I saw that you said, "In a mother daughter way" okay seriously, THAT ROCKS! I TOTALLY GET THAT!

One of the fondest memories I have on my mother is not one single moment but a lifetime of "best friends in a mother daughter way" We were always super close. I always considered her my friend. BUt she was always mom first. and that's how I, personally, think it should be. We are supposed to have friends. our own friends. Best friends separate from anyone else in our family. But our family - especially our moms - can be our best friends...in the mother daughter sort of way.

All this to say that I dig that comment. And I would bet that Megan totally digs that too! Not sure if you give a damn what I think (lol) but from one daughter to a friend, you've nailed this one!!!

Maddy said...

Phew -- good thing you finally updated. I was getting tired of stalking your blog.

I'm jealous your October is starting to wind down. Mine is just starting to get crazy. AH! :)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, megan!

great post, kerry! *muah*

Unknown said...

Aw, that's sweet. I can totally identify with that thought.

And your pumpkin looks entirely too happy... ;)