Thursday, April 19, 2007

some ramblings

I didn't know what to say about what happened at VT earlier this week. I figured that I wouldn't really blog about it because my feelings were pretty much what everybody else was feeling. Just sadness that the world is like this anymore, and trying to imagine what it is like for the parents of these students.

Today though, I was watching TV and caught a glimpse of my old high school. Corona del Sol. My nephew goes there right now so I immediately called my sister to see if he was ok. Apparently for the past couple of weeks there have been threats written on the bathroom walls, and earlier this week a tree was burned in the front of the school with another note by it that said the same kind of threats. My sister told me how this was news on CNN. My old high school on CNN??? I just can't fathom that, but there were images of all of the students sitting out in the football field after being evacuated from the school.

Then I hear on the news about how a student at a school in Seattle had brought three guns to school. - Not to use, but to sell apparently.

What is going on??? My first thought hearing all of this was that even my kids in elementary school aren't safe. Remember what happened in Russia with the elementary school? Even the media finally realized today that the terrorists are taking notes on where our weak spots are. I was getting angry the first day of the VT massacre when they kept referring to it as 'the worst massacre in American history." Shut up! Some crazy person is going to think, "Oh yeah, I can outdo that." The media just pisses me off sometimes.

I was just thinking about how easy I had it in school. We never worried about this sort of thing.

I was bantering back and forth with some friends via email today about how much high school sucked because of the pressures of being asked to prom and stuff like that. I tell you, cake compared to what our kids have to deal with there now. Drugs, sex and so many more things than what I had to worry about. It really is a crazy world.

I know things will get back to normal, and this is just an odd week with all of the violent anniversaries that are falling within this week. They've all had me thinking.

The hardest part is remembering to teach my kids that worrying about this stuff isn't living life. We can't live in fear, and if you do you are missing out on so much.

Love you all!

No comments: